The beginning of YOUR independence
Take ownership in your future…
It is never too late or too early to look for scholarships available to you!
I was at a high school today here in Indiana, giving my presentation, and one of my students I was speaking to made a comment about how he wouldn’t be eligible for many scholarships, and that many of the money you get for college, “you would have to pay back.” Not true certainly. What I was astonished about was how most of what this student said was absolutely false and that was going to stop him from going to college!
This is why I love what I do and provide you with information regarding specific tips and tricks of the higher education market. It gives me the opportunity to say you can do it! No matter how much money you have. No matter how good or bad your grades are (not too bad…you have to have diploma or GED), you are eligible to go to college. Of course it might not be an ivy league school or large university away from home. But there are schools that are just as good and better that offer just as good, or better degrees! Higher education is a huge things now, and schools are doing what they can to accommodate you.
Keep the attitude “I’m going to college, no matter what.” Then that will drive you. It will keep you motivated to maintain that attitude. NOw, there is some work. It doesn’t just happen for you. You have a responsibility here and I want to help you along the way with regard to preparing yourself for scholarship applications process.
Whether you’re a senior now or a junior in high school you should take every opportunity to at least research all the possible scholarships and opportunities you can with regard to getting free money to go to college. People like to give extra money Away to young people for education. It’s a good thing and there will always be money available because of that. So take advantage of it and research.
Now, first you must prepare yourself. Proper preparation makes a productive person. Take some time real quick to go through this list of preparation tips with regard to searching and applying for scholarships. Then check out these websites that carry specific scholarships, or that provide a service in which it will search for the scholarships for you. You simply fill out a profile and it does the work for you in seeking out any scholarships with which your eligible. It takes a little work from you, but if you do it, it will surely pay off in the end. But this article I posted a while ago shows a great listing of websites for the best types of scholarships available.
Personal Development & Growth
- What do you enjoy?
- Skills and Talents?
- Find a career that pays you for being you
Estimate your financial contributions
- SACRIFICE…parents and students
- Financial obligations from the student
- Work a part time job, take out student loans, etc.
TIP: You CANNOT nor SHOULD YOU go bankrupt for an education!
Resources to find out about scholarships
Guidance offices Colleges
Proper Preparation makes a Productive Person
- Start the search. Do NOT rely on others
- Don’t burn your bridges
- Know your allies, references always help J
- Prepare an essay and practice application
- Can YOU read your own handwriting?
Sweat the Small Stuff
- Brag about yourself!
- Even if it was running the sound board for church choir or keeper of the left-handed shovel J
- Don’t forget any type of involvement
The beginning of YOUR independence
- Taking ownership in your future…
- Highlight positive aspects about your life & employment
- Local scholarships are sometimes the best!
Watch for the “OOPSIES”:
- Spellcheck, then proofread, then spellcheck again
- Give it to someone else to proof
- Put it down for couple days, then go back to it
- Emails: firstname.lastname@example.orgJ
- Social Networking sites- what can they see?
Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines: keep track of these!
Turn in the right stuff at the right time
Go for all of them!
Money saving tips
- APPLY! APPLY! APPLY! APPLY!
- Apply for Scholarships and Colleges EARLY!
- Apply to at least 3 or 4 affordable schools!
- Apply to at least a couple of generous schools!
The odd and unusual…
Crrrraaaaazzzzyyyyyy scholarships give you some incentive that just about ANYONE can win money! Here’s why.
- Duct Brand Tape at Prom Contest Scholarship: $2,500
- Left-Handed Scholarships
- Tall Clubs International Scholarship
- The Chick/Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling:$1,500
- The Scholar-Athlete Milk Mustache of the Year
- Students for Organ Donation Scholarship: $500-$1,000
Proper preparation makes a productive person. Enough said, right? Just being prepared and following this list will make you prepared like a scout!
Your Success is My Success,
Keith Lipke is a careers and college recruiter, coach, mentor and blogger at The Hope Chest. His passion is to educate, inspire, and give hope to young people along their journey who need it upon their search for the right career.