You deserve it!
It takes some work to find the right scholarships that you are most eligible for, but you get the most return on your investment. Your investment of time and effort to applying for scholarships truly pays off.
Well, believe me there are a ton of available scholarships out there. I provided you with some websites below, but check out the following steps and things to consider when and how to apply for scholarships. I’ll provide a more specific list of scholarship websites next!
This is the beginning of YOUR independence
Take ownership in your future…
Personal Development & Growth
- What do you enjoy?
- Skills and Talents?
- Find a career that pays you for being you
Estimate your financial contributions
- SACRIFICE…parents and students
- Financial obligations from the student
- Work a part time job, take out student loans, etc.
TIP: You CANNOT nor SHOULD YOU go bankrupt for an education!
Resources to find out about scholarships:
Guidance offices Colleges
Proper Preparation makes a Productive Person
- Start the search. Do NOT rely on others
- Don’t burn your bridges
- Know your allies, references always help J
- Prepare an essay and practice application
- Can YOU read your own handwriting?
Sweat the Small Stuff
- Brag about yourself!
- Even if it was running the sound board for church choir or keeper of the left-handed shovel J
- Don’t forget any type of involvement
The beginning of YOUR independence
- Taking ownership in your future…
- Highlight positive aspects about your life & employment
- Local scholarships are sometimes the best!
Watch for the “OOPSIES”:
- Spellcheck, then proofread, then spellcheck again
- Give it to someone else to proof
- Put it down for couple days, then go back to it
- Emails: firstname.lastname@example.orgJ
- Social Networking sites- what can they see?
Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines: keep track of these!
Turn in the right stuff at the right time and go for all of them!
Money saving tips
- APPLY! APPLY! APPLY! APPLY!
- Apply for Scholarships and Colleges EARLY!
- Apply to at least 3 or 4 affordable schools!
- Apply to at least a couple of generous schools!
The odd and unusual…
- Duct Brand Tape at Prom Contest Scholarship: $2,500
- Left-Handed Scholarships
- Tall Clubs International Scholarship
- The Chick/Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling:$1,500
- The Scholar-Athlete Milk Mustache of the Year
- Students for Organ Donation Scholarship: $500-$1,000
Keith Lipke is a careers and college recruiter, coach, mentor and blogger at The Career Closet. His passion is to educate, inspire, and give hope to young people who need it upon their search for the right career and college.